Air duct cleaning services are an important part of home maintenance. Air duct cleaning will not only get rid of dirt, dust and other particles, but it will also get rid of mold. Mold can be quite detrimental to human health. These spores can easily cause various symptoms to emerge, and they can cause someone who is immunocompromised to become more ill.
Mold can easily grow in air ducts when the conditions are right. This mainly means that it needs a warm environment with a lot of moisture. Unfortunately, your air ducts are usually warm and will usually be quite humid. They’re also located in areas that are not visible to us, so most homeowners don’t even realize that their air ducts are teeming with mold, bacteria, fungi and other microbes.
If you’re looking for an air duct cleaning service, give Blue Ox Heating & Air a call. We service the Minneapolis, MN and St. Paul areas. We can be your go-to heating, cooling and air quality company.
What Does an Air Duct Cleaning Service Involve?
Many homeowners don’t get air duct cleaning services regularly, so they actually don’t know what it involves. Professional technicians use specialized equipment and tools to clean out the supply, intake and return ducts throughout your entire home. Some of these equipment and tools include brushes, vacuums and blowers. The professionals know how to assemble and disassemble your ducts without damaging them, and can easily get to hard-to-reach areas.
Professional air duct cleaning services will clean the fans, the motors, the coils and basically every part of the HVAC system. By the end of the cleaning, your HVAC system should look brand new. During the cleaning, our professionals will also take a look at the condition of your HVAC system and see whether anything needs to be addressed. For example, we’ll take a look at whether there are any issues that you may want to fix or repair before they worsen.
In general, most experts recommend getting your air ducts cleaned every year or several years. It all depends on your environment and where you live. It may also depend on whether you have any pets in the home. Most air duct cleaning services will take about a day to complete. It all depends on the size of your home, as well as how dirty it is inside. You can always ask for before and after pictures. This can give you a better idea of how well the ducts were cleaned and the difference that it makes.
Benefits of Getting Air Duct Cleaning Services
So, what’s the deal with professional air duct cleaning services? Why do so many experts recommend them and why do some many homeowners get them? Some of the benefits of getting your air ducts cleaned include:
- Being able to improve the overall air quality within your home. This is particularly important for those who may suffer from respiratory conditions and diseases.
- Reducing asthma and allergy symptoms. As professional air duct cleaning services will get rid of dust, dirt and allergens, you’ll have an easier time breathing.
- Removing tiny air pollutants and mold that are too small to see. Air duct cleaning services are very thorough. This is great news for most homeowners because it means that it’ll get rid of one important microbe — mold. Mold spores are not visible to the human eye, so you never know how much mold may actually be in the air. Professional air duct cleaning services will make sure that all of these unwanted microbes are gone from your home.
- Improving the overall efficiency of your HVAC system. Dirty HVAC systems can really get bogged down. By cleaning your air ducts, you may find yourself with a lower energy bill as your HVAC systems become a lot more efficient.
Thankfully, air duct cleaning services are also very affordable. Blue Ox Heating & Air of Minneapolis, MN offers a lot of coupons, discounts and promotions that can really bring your total bill down by quite a lot. The benefits of getting your ducts clean definitely outweigh the cost. It’s important to note that most homeowners are able to get away with cleaning their ducts every several years, so this service is not very expensive at all.
How Can You Tell If There’s Mold in Your Air Ducts?
As most parts of the air ducts are not visible, it can be difficult to tell if there is mold in your air ducts and whether you need an air duct cleaning service. Let’s take a look at some of the most obvious signs that there’s mold in your air ducts and that you need to call for professional air duct cleaning service immediately.
- Odors. Mold smells. Most types of mold are usually associated with some type of unusual or musty odor. It usually smells rotten, wet or stale. It’s never a good smell. This is usually the first sign that most homeowners notice. Usually, the odor will only be present when you’re using your air conditioning or heating system. Once you turn any of these systems off, you should notice a significant decrease in smelly odors.
- Visible mold. This doesn’t happen often. Usually, most homeowners will not notice any mold and their home. However, in some worst-case and extreme scenarios, the mold may start to grow out of the vents. You’ll start to notice visible mold in the ducts and in the drip pan. This usually happens when the condenser coils become clogged. If you notice any visible mold, you need to call a professional right away for air duct cleaning services. Mold spreads through spores. This means that there’s likely a huge infestation by the time that you notice the mold.
- Symptoms. Last but not least, if you or your family start to exhibit noticeable allergy symptoms whenever the air conditioning or heating is on, it may also be a sign of mold. Some of the most common allergy symptoms associated with mold include headaches, nausea and respiratory irritation. Some people will also get dry, itchy eyes.
If you notice any of the symptoms above, you need to get professional air duct cleaning done right away. The longer that you wait, the worse that the problem will become. Mold can be incredibly difficult to get rid of if you wait. This is because the spores are not visible to the naked eye and can easily get stuck or hide within nooks and crannies. This means that they can continue to grow as long as the conditions are right.
Types of Mold
You’d be surprised at the amount of mold that could grow inside your home. There are so many different types of mold. Our professionals have seen quite a few of them while completing air duct cleaning services. Let’s take a look at some of the most common types of mold that Minneapolis, MN air duct cleaning services can get rid of.
One of the most common types of mold found in air ducts is Acremonium. This type of mold looks like a white powder. Although it is rare for this type of mold to infect humans, it can cause some health problems to rise. For example, it can team up with other types of mold to cause endocarditis, pneumonia and subcutaneous infections.
Another commonly found mold in air ducts is Alternaria. This type of mold is one of the most common allergens in humans. It can cause a lot of symptoms among those who have allergies. Its presence can also sometimes lead to asthma. Alternaria is usually greenish or brownish in color and has a velvet-like texture. This mold usually only appears if there’s some type of leak or condensation happening in your air ducts. With that said, that type of situation is not unusual in some older homes or systems that desperately need repair. This is also why it’s important to get your HVAC systems serviced regularly.
One of the harder molds to distinguish is Aspergillus. This type of mold can take on many different forms and colors. The most common colors are green, yellow or white. With that said, this type of mold can cause fever and chills, shortness of breath or chest and joint pain. When exposed to this type of mold, some people will also claim that they get headaches or some type of eye symptom.
A cotton-like mold that often appears in air ducts is Chaetomium. This type of mold is usually brownish in color, but it can change over time. This can make it difficult to identify. This type of mold can produce mycotoxins that are dangerous to humans, but it usually will only cause skin and nail infections. This is another type of mold that grows very well in water damaged buildings. If there’s a leak in your HVAC system, this is one of the most common types of mold that you’ll find in your home.
Fusarium is another mold that is commonly found in homes. It’s known as a “soil mold”, so it usually appears outdoors. With that said, if your HVAC system is leaking, you may find this type of mold inside your home. This type of mold will vary greatly in their appearance. It can look brown, yellow or white, and it can also take on different types of consistencies and textures. The good news, however, is that Fusarium is relatively harmless. It usually does more harm to plants than to animals. Unfortunately, this mold can still do some harm to those who are immunocompromised.
Mucor is a type of mold that should be treated as soon as possible because it is quite toxic and harmful to human beings. This type of mold can be commonly found in air conditioners and in air vents. The symptoms that a person may experience will depend largely on where the spores land.
If you notice a blackish substance, you might have Stachybotrys in your home. This type of mold is really easy to spot because it’s black. It’s one of the more toxic types of molds that can appear in your air ducts. In fact, common symptoms of a Stachybotrys infection include burning and congestion, nasal irritation, chest tightness, dyspnea and coughing and wheezing. Some people may even get headaches or experience lightheadedness and mental fatigue.
In comparison to the other types of mold on our list, Ulocladium is a rather rare mold. This type of mold is usually brown, grey or black. It has a texture that resembles suede, wool or cotton. Unfortunately, this type of mold can have a huge negative impact on your health. It’s known to cause a lot of damage to the respiratory system and can cause your immune system to weaken significantly. It’s also a mold that is extremely hard to get rid of, which is why you’ll definitely need professional help.
Call Us for Affordable HVAC Services in Minneapolis, MN
If we’ve convinced you by now that an air duct cleaning service can really benefit your home, you should really consider giving Blue Ox Heating & Air a call at 952-213-3956. Our company was founded in 2013 by three different families. Combined, we have over a hundred years of collective experience. We are able to provide fully licensed, bonded and insured services to those in the Minneapolis, MN area. We offer a wide range of affordable HVAC services and can handle whatever problem you’re facing.
Best of all, we are able to offer emergency HVAC Services. If you run into an issue at 2 a.m., you know who to call. Our licensed technicians will get to you right away regardless of the time. Not only are our technicians professional and polite, they will also ensure that you are 100% satisfied with the work that they have completed. If you are not 100% satisfied, we will refund you your money!